3.24.2009

Where does it go?


Where does the time go. Gavin (Gabby as the whole family calls him) is seven months old today. It just keeps zipping by, next thing I know he'll be out with his brother terrorizing the farm and each other. I'm loving this sweet picture, it reminds me that he does actually sleep, once in a while. It's been a couple of hard nights, can't you tell.
 
For Christmas Isaac got this great wheel barrow, although I'm not sure who uses it more him or me, I have been known to load it up with some compost for a quick boost for the blueberries. It handles so much easier than the grown up one. We do have a plethora of loading, dumping and moving muck type vehicles. From the regular old wheel barrow (in small and large sizes), to the wooden garden cart, the "tractor" which in reality is the riding lawnmower with  a trailer (we like to pretend), to the new and improved (that's what the store claimed)  garden cart that carries up to 1200 lbs and has a dumping feature. It works great for so many things, taking feed sacks to the chicken house,
potting soil to the greenhouse and carnival rides around the yard, maybe I should sell tickets (I'm starting to feel like a horse drawn carriage ride).  Gotta take a quick break to feed this horse and her ponies, be right back...

Alright I'm back now. After a bit of lunch I ran down
to the greenhouse to plant a few things in the heat bed. This weekend I had layed my new heat cable out on some snow fencing, cut to fit the box, an zipped tied it all together. Side Note; Now I am trying to be more conscience of my families plastic's use (and encourage everyone to try and do the same), but I was afraid if I had used mesh and wire it might burn the cable out, so we arrived at a heated snow fencing mat if you will. 
The box it's all in was built for the table it sits in, which was built for the greenhouse specifically. The box is originally meant for a dirt tub, in fact we have another one and that's what we use it for and it's great (it keeps the dirt from getting dirty). 
Anyway, I finally got it all put together and planted 
Basil, Dukat Dill, German Chamomile, Echinacea, Yarrow, Hollyhock, and Anise Hyssop, just a few things. It is really easy and fast to plant with the heat bed, but don't forget to keep a written journal of what you have planted. It is great for year to year records of what worked well and what didn't and after planting so many different seeds it helps you keep it all straight
(I said helps, it's not guaranteed). Uh oh, I think I forgot to turn the cable on, it won't work that way. 
Well off to the green house again. The seed will grow faster with a little heat help. 

No comments:

Inspirational Growing Quotes

"Gardening requires lots of water-most of it in the form of perspiration."
~ Lou Erickson, www.quotegarden.com